Palmer's Division - Crittenden's Corps.
Brig. Gen. William B. Hazen.
Sept. 20, 1863, 3:30 P.M.
||Col. Isaac C.B. Suman.
||Maj. Richard T. Whitaker.
||Col. Aquila Wiley.
||Maj. James B. Hampson.
|1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery F
||Lieut. Giles J. Cockerill.
About 3 o'clock this brigade, being then on the front line, on the right of Palmer's division east of the Kelly field, was sent to the assistance of the troops on Snodgrass Hill. It moved at double-quick to this position, and was engaged here with Harker's
brigade of Wood's division until the end of the battle. About 5:30 P.M. the 9th Indiana moved to the right to support the right of Brannan's line. At 7 P.M. the brigade led the withdrawal of this position of the line to Rossville. Effective force Sept. 19th,
1467 officers and men. Casualties during the battle: killed 46; wounded 378; captured or missing 76; total 500. Percentage of loss 34.08.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.7863 W 85° 16.0245.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 11, 2018. This page has been viewed 6 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on July 11, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 07/11/2018 by Byron Hooks.