Monument

125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument

Sept. 19-20, 1863

Battle of Chickamauga



125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/16 13:23:34
1. 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument
 
Inscription:
125th O.V.I.
Col. Emerson Opdycke, Comdg.
Harker's Brig., Wood's Div.
21st Army Corps.


Inscription on the rear of the monument:
Mon
; Sept. 19th, 1863, from 4:30 P.M. to 5:30 P.M. this regiment was severely engaged about 600 yds. north of Viniard's, and about 200 yds. East of the road, capturing one officer and nine men.

Sept. 20th, about 11:30 A.M. formed for battle about 100 yds. South of this ridge, and advanced to the North end of Dyer's Field where it met and engaged the enemy and resisted his further advance from 12:00 M. to 1:00 P.M. when it was forced to retire. It reached this position about 1:30 P.M. and occupied it until about 7:00 P.M. when it was ordered to Rossville. From 1:30 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. it assisted in repelling all assaults on this part of the line.

Went into action with 16 Officers; 298 Men; Aggregate 314. Loss: Killed 17; Wounded 83; Missing 5; Aggregate 105.;



125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/16 13:23:59
2. 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument
 


Classification
Allegiance: Union
Type: Monument
Level: Regiment
Military Arm: Infantry




Location of the monument:
This monument is visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 55.780  W 85° 16.020. Map it

Parking is available on Vittetoe Rd near  N 34° 55.758   W 85° 16.074


To reach this monument:
To view this monument drive to the parking area in front of the Snodgrass House (tour stop 8) and the monument can be seen situated just to the east of the Snodgrass House.
Distinctive geographic/terrain features at the markers location:
Snodgrass Hill



NPS/SIRIS Data
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-1037.
This monument is recorded in the Smithsonian Institution’s catalog of outdoor sculptures as control number IAS GA000671.




Comments about this monument:
This monument was built in 1894. The architect / contractor was the E. F. Carr Co., Quincy, MA, the sculptor were Charles Henry Niehaus and A O'Connor. This monument is a 12' high granite monument on 7'6" x 5'6" limestone base. Stepped base supports pedestal with bronze tablet of battle scene; shaft contains bronze portrait medallion of Col. Opdycke; with sculpted stone mountain lion on at top. Located on Snodgrass Hill.


 

By Byron Hooks, on 2018-06-20
enlarge
3. 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument
 
 

By Byron Hooks, on 2018-06-20
enlarge
4. 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument
View of plaque attached to the front side of the historical monument that shows an artist's rendering of the regiment in battle.
 
 
 

By Byron Hooks, on 2018-06-20
enlarge
5. 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument
A close-up view of the text, located on the plaque, on the back of the historical monument.
 
 

By Dale K. Benington, on 2018-06-20
enlarge
6. 125th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Monument
View of the historical monument, looking southwest, in the direction of the distant Snodgrass House.
 
 


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on June 20, 2018. This page has been viewed 36 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then. The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 19, 2018. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on June 20, 2018. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 were submitted on 06/20/2018 by Byron Hooks.


Resources