The two stone monuments you see here reflect the long-lasting grief - and the hopes - of the generation of Americans who survived the Civil War. After the war, young men whose lives had been forever changed by this battle began returning to these bullet-shattered
forests and blood-soaked fields. They mourned comrades lost and reflected on the meaning of their trial by fire. In 1914 veterans began the call to preserve this battlefield as sacred ground. Their descendants again strove for national recognition in 1924,
1928, 1936, and 1939. In 1956 President Eisenhower finally signed the law to create and protect this legacy as Pea Ridge National Military Park.
Confederate veterans raised the older memorial just 25 years after the fight, one of the first in the nation to mark a Civil War battlefield. This stark 1887 obelisk mourned the well-known southern generals lost here: McCulloch, McIntosh, and Slack.
The 1889 Pea Ridge reunion was the first to include veterans from both armies. Their marble monument to "A United Soldiery" honored both "the untarnished Blue" and "the unsullied Grey."
Erected by Pea Ridge National Military Park - National Park Service - U.S. Department of the Interior.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 36° 27.1884 W 94° 0.9962.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on September 18, 2017. This page has been viewed 408 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on September 18, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 were submitted on 09/18/2017 by Byron Hooks.