Wood's Division - Crittenden's Corps.
Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood.
September 11th, until 3 P.M. September 19th, 1863
|1st Brigade - Colonel George P. Buell.
|2d Brigade - Brigadier General George D. Wagner.
|3d Brigade - Colonel Charles G. Harker.
This division, leaving Wagner's Brigade at Chattanooga, moved from the latter point at 10 o'clock, September 10th, and camped at Ringgold Bridge on the Chickamauga. At daybreak of the 11th Harker's Brigade moved back to Rossville Gap and thence by the LaFayette
Road to this position, reaching it at 4:30 P.M. having skirmished from the vicinity of the Cloud House with Forrest's Cavalry, which constituted the enemy's rear guard. General Wood arrived from Ringgold Bridge at 8:30 P.M. with Buell's Brigade via Reed's
Bridge. At 1 P.M. of the 18th a brigade of the enemy attempted to cross the river at the ford near the mill, but was repulsed. At 3:00 P.M. of the 19th the division was ordered to move rapidly to the left by the LaFayette Road. Buell's Brigade went into action
about 3:30 near Viniard's, and Harker's about the same hour further to north.
[UL] No. 20. [UR] U. S.
This monument is Not
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 53.0194 W 85° 16.090.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 21, 2017. This page has been viewed 225 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 12, 2017.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 21, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 05/21/2017 by Byron Hooks.