Monument

Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument

Sept. 20, 1863

Battle of Chickamauga



Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/04/06 13:36:19
1. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument
 
Inscription:
Headquarters
Right Wing Army of Tennessee
Lieut. Gen. Leonidas Polk.
Sept. 20th, 1863




Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/04/06 13:36:23
2. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument
 


Classification
Allegiance: Confederate
Type: Monument
Level: Headquarters
Military Arm: Combined Arms


This monument markers the location of a headquarters.


Location of the monument:
This monument is Not visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 55.9402  W 85° 14.966. Map it

Parking is available on Alexander Bridge Road near  N 34° 56.0105   W 85° 15.2947


To reach this monument:
Park on Alexander Bridge Road. A path runs east from near the plaques to Breckinridge’s Division (CSA) & 92nd Ohio (USA). Follow this path east. A path running north to Reed's Bridge Road will intersect this path at the Brig. Gen. Benjamin H. Heim headquarters monument. Continue pasted the monument along the same path, crossing a small creek to the monument.
Distinctive geographic/terrain features at the markers location:
Wooded



NPS/SIRIS Data
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-481.




Comments about this monument:
This monument was designed by E. E. Bates and was built between 1893 and 1895. The monument has a 6'2" square base and is 5' high, the monument consists of a pyramid of cannonballs set in cement & painted black, resting on a molded limestone base. Attached to base is a metal plaque painted red identifying this was a Confederate headquarters site. This shell pyramid monument has a square base consisting 7 cannonballs wide and 7 cannonballs deep. It is 7 layers high.


 

By Byron Hooks, on 2014-12-26
enlarge
3. Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument
 


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on December 26, 2014. This page has been viewed 471 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 2 time(s) since then. The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 20, 2017. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on December 26, 2014. Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 12/26/2014 by Byron Hooks.


Resources