Walker's Headquarters Shell Monument

Sept. 20, 1863

Battle of Chickamauga

Walker's Headquarters Shell Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/04/06 13:14:10
1. Walker's Headquarters Shell Monument
Reserve Corps
Major General W.H.T. Walker
Sept. 20th, 1863, Afternoon

Walker's Headquarters Shell Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/04/06 13:14:15
2. Walker's Headquarters Shell Monument

Allegiance: Confederate
Type: Monument
Level: Headquarters
Military Arm: Combined Arms

This monument markers the location of a headquarters.

Location of the monument:
This monument is Not visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 56.1509  W 85° 15.1364. Map it

Parking is available on Reed's Bridge Road near  N 34° 56.5075   W 85° 15.0886

To reach this monument:
From the parking area on Reed’s Bridge Road, follow the path south to the marker. Pass the table for Strahl's Brigade (CSA). The path will fork, continue straight (south) along the same path. This path will dead end in to a path running east – west. Alexander’s Bridge and Battleline Roads will be to the west.
Distinctive geographic/terrain features at the markers location:

This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-480.

Comments about this monument:
This monument was constructed in 1895. It has a 6'2" square at base and 5' high, the monument consists of a pyramid of cannonballs set in cement & painted black, resting on a molded limestone base. Attached to base is a, painted red, metal plaque identifying the headquarters site. The pyramid is made up of artillery shells: 7 wide by 7 deep, and it is 7 layers high.


By Byron Hooks, on 2014-12-18
3. Walker's Headquarters Shell Monument


This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on December 18, 2014. This page has been viewed 343 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then. The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 20, 2017. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on December 18, 2014. Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 12/18/2014 by Byron Hooks.