Pegram’s Division Forrest’s Cavalry Corps. Brig. Gen. John Pegram. Sept. 19, 1863. 7 A. M.
| Davidson’s Brigade || Brig. Gen. H. B. Davidson. |
Brigade|| Col. John S. Scott. |
On the afternoon of the 18th Forrest had with him a detachment of Morgan’s command of Scott’s Brigade under R. M. Martin, and his escort, and was joined it Reed’s Bridge by Pegam with Davidson’s
Brigade, and assisted in forcing a crossing for Bushrod R. Johnson’s column. Forrest with this part of his command, bivouacked near Alexander’s Bridge. Scotts Brigade was sent on the 18th to operate in the vicinity of Ringgold (Red House) Bridge against the
advanced forces of Gordon Granger’s Corps from Rossville. At daylight of the 19th Forrest started to reconnoiter in the vicinity of Reed’s Bridge to protect Bragg’s right flank. At 7.30 Davison’s Brigade of this division became hotly engaged with Croxton’s
Brigade of Brannan’s Division near and West of Jay’s Mill. Wilson’s Infantry Brigade of Walker’s Corps was hastily brought over by Forrest from near Alexander’s house at 9 A.M., and an hour later Ector’s Brigade of the same Corps was hastened into the fight.
The battle raged fiercely at all points of the line until 1 P.M., at which hour both Calvary and Infantry Brigades had been forced back to positions near Jay’s Mill.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.7614 W 85° 13.7653.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on October 24, 2014. This page has been viewed 269 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 2 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 12, 2017.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on October 24, 2014.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 10/24/2014 by Byron Hooks.