Eighty-second Regiment Infantry
Colonel Morton C. Hunter, Commanding
First Brigade (Connell).
Third Division (Brannan).
Fourteenth Corps (Thomas).
This Regiment, Colonel Morton C Hunter, commanding, reached the front September 19, at 11 A.M., and supported Church’s battery which had been sent up to VanDerveer’s line. It night it was moved to the extreme right of the corps.
On the morning of September 20, it occupied the right of the second line of the brigade, east of the Dyer house and North West of the Brotherton house.
When the front line was driven from the works by Longstreet’s fierce attack, just before noon, Colonel Hunter ordered the 82nd, to charge, which it did in gallant style, recapturing and holding the works, but being Immediately outflanked and almost surrounded, it fell back fighting until it reached the site of this monument at a little after 12 M.
The 82nd was the first Regiment of Brannan’s division that formed a line of battle on Snodgrass Hill, which line was firmly held against all assaults until night put an end to the battle.
Killed 20; wounded 68; missing 23.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.6446 W 85° 16.1075.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The monument was built in 1894. It is 9' x 6' x 16' high, the Indiana oolitic limestone monument features a two-step base with inscription on top step. Shaft takes form of blind arch with rock-faced voussoirs surrounding smooth-faced interior. Acorn is carved into keystone.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on February 12, 2015. This page has been viewed 266 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on February 12, 2015.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 were submitted on 02/12/2015 by Byron Hooks.